Friday, November 16, 2012

A girl would never do that! Right?

I always wanted to be a mom to boys.  I love my friend's pink-tutu-wearing daughters but I, myself, never felt the longing for a mother/daughter relationship.  In fact, that is one of the main reasons I don't want a third child.  It may come out a she.  And then what would I do? 

Thankfully, God saw fit to bless me with boys.  But as much as I longed for them - and love them! - life with them always keeps me guessing. 

Take, for example, the other morning.    

We had company over for dinner last Sunday night - friends we hadn't seen in quite a while.  We wanted to get together before the holiday hustle took over our schedules, planned a somewhat impromptu date, and decided to keep the gathering simple - just sharing some healthy snacks/appetizers while we caught up on life.  It was a pleasure to see them and we feel blessed to call them friends.

I hope after reading this story (Hi Erica!) they will still be able to say the same for us!

Any time guests are coming over I make sure to clean the bathrooms.  Living with two little boys  - and, let's just be honest, one big boy - wreaks havoc on toilets.  I have lost count of how many times I've sat down to go potty and realized the seat was wet.  I have lost count of how many times I've walked into the bathroom only to step in urine.  I have lost count...well, I've just stopped counting.

So last Sunday I cleaned the powder room, made sure the toilet paper was replenished and neatly folded the hand towel and placed it beside the sink.  All set for company.

The next morning I was awakened to the fact that my littlest munchkin had been using the hand towel - yes, the very hand towel I had laid out for our guests -

TO WIPE HIS TOOSHIE!!

And, worse, upon closer hand towel inspection, there was evidence of such usage!

shudder shudder shudder shudder shudder shudder
Who used this bathroom last night?!  Oh my Lord!  Did they dry their hands on this towel?!
cringe cringe cringe cringe cringe cringe cringe cringe

My world crumbled to pieces and I died a thousand deaths.

I did not know how long this behavior had been going on but the mere question made the shudders and cringes start all over again.  I did not want to know.  I just wanted to be very, very sure it would never happen again.

So I'm left guessing...

about boys, and why they are so dirty, and why they do terrible germy things, and why God gave them to me, and why i didn't want girls.

One thing I'm NOT guessing about: I can safely say there will never again be a misuse of hand towels in the White house. 
















No comments: